Someone asked my opinion on the difference between a leader and a manager.
First of all a “manager” is just a job title… A manager can be a leader or not.
Leadership is about WAY more than just guiding employees. It is about establishing overall influence, being someone that others want to be associated with, and believe in. You NEED people in order to build a real company.
- Good leaders can inspire those around them.
- Good leaders are able to raise money without much effort.
- Good leaders can sell without selling.
- Good leaders surround themselves with people smarter than themselves, yet the people surrounding them wouldn’t agree.
- Good leaders are NEVER a dickhead tyrant or know it all.
- Good leaders never have to tell you how great they or their product or idea are.
- Good leaders can explain value propositions.
- Good leaders can easily find bad a$$ business partners.
- Good leaders can get people excited about working for them or on their projects.
- Good leaders can get any task finished regardless of if they know how to do it themselves or not.
- Good leaders can get what they want without even asking for it.
I believe wholeheartedly that people will only truly rise to their level of leadership. The cool part is that it’s possible to learn to be a better leader.
How does one learn to be a better leader?
I don’t call domineering egotistical douches leaders. Sure they might be in a leadership position, but that doesn’t make them a good leader.
The best way to learn leadership in my opinion is to learn how to deal with people. It’s more a study of psychology than one of power and domination. Who wins long term? The guy who is only concerned with leverage and working angles? Or the guy that has respect, trust, some leverage, a good track record, charisma and an understanding of what motivates the people they are leading?
Leadership is the key
I hope you are beginning to see the connection between BIG ventures and leadership. None of these truly big ventures and game changing companies can exist without LEADERSHIP. Honestly, it is the only thing that even matters. Leadership can get you EVERYTHING you need to make something like this happen.
Start a business that requires only raw and bad a$$ leadership out of the entrepreneur. Leadership that can raise money, lobby regulators, find the right engineers and techies. And put the spokes of the venture together.
This is why I consider leadership the most important skill some can have in business.